Children in your community need YOU. When children are removed from their family members due to neglect, abuse, abandonment the state social workers try to find loving foster families in the same county to care for them. This means YOUR home could provide a life-changing experience and an opportunity to love a child who needs it the most.
Over 9,100 youth are living under state of Kentucky care, rather than the care of their biological family. There are 4,000 teenagers who need loving families. These young people are looking for the love, support, and encouragement that families provide forever (not just until they turn 18).
Everybody needs somebody… even teenagers. Especially teenagers. The teenage years are a time of changes, peer pressure and confusing feelings. Teens need to feel safe in order to emotionally lean on parents or adults for stability and guidance. Taking this leap doesn’t come without challenges, but the results are deeply tangible and wholeheartedly rewarding for those who welcome teens into their home.
As a foster parent, you will have support from many different systems.
- Quality in-home case management, therapy services and trainings provided by Gateway Children’s Services.
- Medical and mental health benefits through Aetna’s Supporting Kentucky Youth (SKY) program.
- Monthly reimbursements to cover the youth expenses.
- Federal financial student aid when applying for college or technical school.
- Education and Training Vouchers (ETV) of up to $5,000 per year for post high school education.
Teens are literally adults-in-training. They need—and want—life models, life coaches, and opportunities to develop into the person they can be to reach their hopes and dreams. Please consider fostering a teenager.
About the Author: Denise Spittler is the Therapeutic Foster Care Director at Gateway Children’s Services email@example.com